The Dr. Piper Center for Social Services holds its annual children Christmas Party every December 25th. Sarah Williams, the mother of Dr. Ella Piper started this event in 1915 while employed in the H. E. Heitman home. Thus began an institute over the years that grew from an original gathering of 15 little girls to some 600 boys and girls who romped over her lawn at 1771 Evans Avenue (now 2607 Dr. Ella Piper Way) every December 25th.
When Dr. Piper’s mother died in 1926, Dr. Piper carried on the Annual Christmas Party with the assistance of many churches, businesses, and many community friends who assisted with contributions and gifts for the youngsters. The annual Christmas Tree Party has continued uninterrupted since Dr. Piper’s death through the faithful efforts of local citizens.